I hadn’t posted the Profession of Faith because of uncertainty as to the propriety of so doing without my full name. (My first post on this blog explains why I haven’t used my full name.) I’ve seen two other bloggers, though, post this pseudonymously, so here goes:
****
I, Gregg, with firm faith believe and profess everything that is contained in the symbol of faith: namely,
I BELIEVE in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible:
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God; begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of very God; Begotten, not made; being of one substance with the Father; by Whom all things were made: Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man: and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried: And the third day He rose again according to the Scriptures: and ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of the Father: and He shall come again, with glory, to judge both the quick and the dead; Whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Ghost, The Lord, and Giver of life, Who proceedeth from the Father and the Son; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; Who spake by the Prophets: And I believe one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church: I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins: And I look for the resurrection of the dead: And the life of the world to come. Amen.
With firm faith I believe as well everything contained in God's word, written or handed down in tradition and proposed by the church--whether in solemn judgment or in the ordinary and universal magisterium--as divinely revealed and called for faith.
I also firmly accept and hold each and every thing that is proposed by that same Church definitively with regard to teaching concerning faith or morals. What is more, I adhere with religious submission of will and intellect to the teachings which either the Roman pontiff or the college of bishops enunciate when they exercise the authentic magisterium even if they proclaim those teachings in an act that is not definitive.
****
I used the translation of the Nicene Creed that I learned as a boy, rather than the ICEL translation that I recite at Sunday Mass. Not meaning trouble by that. I haven’t seen anything to indicate that the ICEL translation would be the only one expected for use in such a situation. If I am mistaken, I welcome correction.
Of course I don't have the same understanding of the meaning of the above words as I did when I first learned them..

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home