Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Friday, April 15, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Of course all and sundry are posting about the upcoming conclave and memories of the late Holy Father, as is meet and right. It is a moment of change for the Church. No. Not changes in doctrine. But change nonetheless.

Many more changes are going on in the Church concurrently.

Earlier this year, Denver's loss became San Antonio's gain as Bishop Jose H. Gomez became their new archbishop. It would be fitting and proper if the new archbishop were to be one of the first cardinals created by the new pontiff, whoever he may be.

In the near future we expect to hear the fate of our pastor. His six year term is near its end. There is not a discernable pattern to whether other pastors in the area get reappointed or reassigned at the end of their terms, so it's pointless to speculate. I'd be sad to see him go, but the decision is completely out of my hands.

A few weeks ago I happened to be in a storage room in the church basement. I ran across several wonderful old documents concerning a pastor who served the parish from the 40s into the 70s. I'm sure the parishioners in the late 70s were anxious about the future of the parish when his term came to a close. It worked out. So shall our current transitions.

I don't know enough about any of the papabili to know whether any one is particularly holier or wiser than another. For that reason I'm very glad to have no part in the decision. The varied tastes, interests and histories of the men in Rome give little indication as to the inmost traits of their character - those traits that will most shape the next papacy. I know that the Holy Spirit will guide the process and that the office will change the man. I'm looking forward to learning the result, of course, and to the excitement of the new papal reign. Beyond that, at least for me, is chaos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home