Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Monday, October 31, 2005

A very sad anniversary

Being raised Lutheran, the last day of October wasn’t just Halloween. The bigger focus at church and school was on certain events of the 16th century.

It’s mind-boggling that the combination of pride, anger, miscommunication, pride, anger obstinacy, pride, anger, politics, pride, anger, greed, pride, anger, lust, pride and anger produced a witches’ brew of heresy and schism that has bubbled for nearly five centuries.

Folks often get quite upset that the Church doesn’t take sterner positions against one faction or another. I suggest that the Church has learned from the experience of long ago and is thus loathe to contribute to a multiplication of schism.

As I’ve written before, there’s a schismatic group in my hometown. I know some of the participants – many of whom have one foot in with the skizzes and one in with the One Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church. Far be it from me to push any of them all the way over the line.

Schism comes from any number of angles, as does the proper response thereto. One surprisingly good response to a particular brand of schismatic can be found here. A more complete response – including discussion on the necessity and means of reform within the Church – is here.

Since it is customary to pray for the dead during November, might I suggest praying especially for those dead who died in imperfect communion with the Church?

1 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger TS said...

The Baptist minister on the radio show said that kids should celebrate "Reformation Day". I was so tempted to email and say to him, "for some of us, that's scarier than Halloween!".
One would think that the fracturing of Christian unity for at least five hundred years is nothing to celebrate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home