Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Thursday, January 09, 2003

A pause in my travels.

Monday I took a trip to California. Last night I returned. Saturday I leave for NY. Quite a flurry of activity.

This was the first air trip I’d taken since 2000. On the outbound flight, I got selected for just about every security precaution short of a cavity search. Still caught the flight.

My first stop was the city named after the Most Blessed Sacrament. That naming is sacrilege. The whole town smells like dirty socks. It also is cursed with the worst traffic I’ve ever encountered. On the way from the airport to my company’s office, I got stuck in traffic connected with the re-inauguration of the Gray Functionary (of whom I heard that “Gray” is actually not his real first name, but a nickname given him by his family). The work visit was enjoyable and productive, even though it included meeting a mind-numbingly beautiful woman (who’s fiancé looks like a real troll – good for him!). On the way out of town I got stuck in inexplicable traffic that caused the first 20 or so miles of the 100+ mile trip to the Bay Area to take well over an hour. Needless to say, I was not a very happy camper when I reached the hotel late Monday night. I don't have a desire to retun to the capital city of California any time soon either.

Tuesday I spent time with company folks in the east bay and then on to the highlight of the trip – an evening in SF. As much as Manhattan is a beautiful place, there are attributes of San Francisco – probably having to do with its smaller scale – that make it even more ravishing. Of course I stayed out later than I should have.

Yesterday I went on a mess of sales calls and found my way home via the Oakland airport, after a wrong turn. I had thought Oakland may have been the victim of bad publicity. Now I'm sure it isn't -- it's bleak too. The airport, though, is terrific. Obviously refurbished, including a first-rate business center. The Oakland airport security staff wasn’t interested in me as there was a voluptuous and scantily-clad woman who had their full and undivided attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home