Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Fun in the Sun

For the last few weeks, downtown Denver has been buzzing with college kids proselytizing on behalf of “the environment”. On two occasions, I’ve had a bit of fun with them and, I hope, contributed in a tiny way to the development of at least some rudimentary critical thinking skills.

Last Thursday I was hurrying to lunch with a friend when one of them stopped me (the first time this had happened to me). He said a reasonable approximation of, “Hi, I’m Dustin with Environment Colorado”.

I replied, “Are you for bulldozing the suburbs?”

He got a deer-in-the-headlights stare.

I asked him “If you don’t know what you’re for or against, how are you going to convince me of anything?” and headed happily off. I didn’t hear him try to hail me with any sort of retort.

Yesterday afternoon, a pair of the boys (for some reason they don’t have any girls working for them) approached me. The blond boy asked, “Do you have a moment for Environment Colorado?”

I asked, “Are you for banning automobiles?”

He proudly said, “Yes, I am.”

I asked, “How do you plan to get that accomplished?”

The dark-haired boy then interrupted that today’s campaign was about electric utilities. They wanted me to sign a petition for a new law to require electric utilities to buy at least 10% of their electricity from wind or solar energy producers.

“What’s stopping them from doing that now?” I asked.

The reply: “Well, this would make it easier for them.”

I asked, “Who would build all of these alternative generators?”

“Companies like GE can build them.”

I asked, “So you’re asking me to sign a petition to make it easier for GE to make money? Isn’t it rather socialist to require people to buy a particular product? How would you like it if a law were proposed that would require people to buy a pack of cigarettes every day so the state could collect higher taxes?”

They started to look a bit queasy and nervous, so I bid them good-day and went, smiling, on my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home