The Dominican sisters who protested at a nuclear missile site and caused about a thousand dollars of damage to the site are up for sentencing in federal court today. (Apologies if the Denver Post link doesn’t work, that’s just the way they are sometimes.)
Yesterday I saw a “rally” of about twenty of their supporters. Per the article, there were about 150 of their supporters in front of the courthouse today.
Interesting tidbits I don’t remember seeing before:
[P]rosecutor Robert Brown enumerated the earlier arrests of the Roman Catholic nuns at anti-war protests: Carol Gilbert, at least 13 times; Ardeth Platte, at least 10 times; and Jackie Hudson, five times . . . [Srs.] Platte and Gilbert lived in Baltimore's Jonah House, an activist community founded by the late peace activist Philip Berrigan. {Sr.} Hudson lived in a similar community in Poulsbo, Wash.
Quote I expected to see (and did):
Asked if vandalizing the silo was illegal, [Sr.] Hudson said: "When someone holds a gun to your head or someone else's head do you not have a right and a duty to enter that arena and stop that crime?"
Methinks that St. Blog’s most prominent Dominican would find the use of that question in that circumstance to be disingenuous. I know I do. The sister’s statement implies that the mere possession of nuclear weapons by the U. S. government is a crime.
Anyone surprised to see Phil Berrigan mentioned? I didn’t think so.
UPDATE: One was sentenced to 30 months, one to 33 months and the third to 41 months. Tomorrow their supporters intend to repeat the actions for which the nuns were sentenced.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home