Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Monday, November 28, 2005

Enervation

That’s the quick and dirty explanation for the dearth of recent posts. Physical ailments have taken their toll and a series of storms of the spirit have sapped whatever strength had been near me.

A few older posts on better blogs have been rattling around: a few weeks back the Bard of Ohio wrote of the counterintuitive concept of providential heresies and the plainspoken son of St. Benedict discussed how they can be worked together for good.

Today’s most prominent heresies are campaigns to reclassify selected fashionable vices as virtues: first the killing of people whose continued existence might cause some inconvenience to the killer – especially when such person is not able to speak for himself, and second the inversion of human dignity attendant on various sexual acts which have long been described as crimes against nature.

I’m not tempted to join in those heresies as those sins are among the few that don’t have a strong grasp on me. Were there some organized campaign to start celebrating arrogance, ill-temper, gluttony or the countless other sins to which I cling, I would likely participate with great enthusiasm. Consequently I have no reason to gloat over the daily parades of licentious heresies, but rather I must witness to the sanctity and dignity of human life – even those lives that are dedicated to spreading error.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home