The blogs are alive, with talk of Opus Dei.
Some (like Ad Orientem are critical while others (like de Virtutibus) are supportive, and, ibidem), for instance, takes a middle ground (which I originally misread as critical for which I apologize).
I don’t have first-hand knowledge of OD. To my knowledge, I don’t know anyone who’s a member. I’ve heard a few homilies and read articles in the diocesan newspaper by Assistant Bishop Jose Gomez, who is a member of OD. He gives every impression of caring deeply about the people of the archdiocese and of being wholly orthodox.
OD is rather new and has grown very rapidly. It espouses a highly structured way of life that is quite different than our cultural norm. Most of all it’s an organization of sinful people who are trying to live the values of the gospel in a particular way. There will be misunderstandings, lapses in virtue and even actual sins committed by members of OD – just as there will be by Catholics who aren’t in OD.
As was pointed out at Disputations, the early Dominicans faced similar criticism. The same is true of the early Jesuits. The Inquisition took some actions that, with the benefit of hindsight, appear to have been at least ill-advised. That’s part of life.
OD probably isn’t for everyone. It doesn’t appear to claim to be for everyone. I’m pretty sure that I would not be a good candidate for OD. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a place for them. I’d be a horrible candidate for, say, the Carthusians. That doesn’t mean I don’t value their contributions.
One of the great things about the Catholic Church (as opposed to the protestant groups with which I have first-hand experience) is that there’s a much greater awareness of the varieties of valid Christian spiritual paths. (I’m not talking about the wacky syncretism mentioned at Amy’s site, but about differences like those between the Franciscans and the Carmelites – both valid paths, if not suitable for everyone.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home