Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Monday, December 16, 2002

Last night we went and saw the latest Star Trek movie. It’s neither one of the better ones nor one of the worse ones. I’m not a die-hard Trek fan, but I have seen all the movies and all the episodes of the original series and TNG and most DS9s (even though I liked that series best, it just wasn’t that handy). I’ve watched rather few of Gilligan – er, Voyager – or Enterprise.

FWIW, here’s my classification:

First rate II (Khan), VI (Undiscovered Country), VIII (First Contact);
Some major flaws IV (Voyage Home), X (Nemesis), I (“The Motion Picture");
Badly flawed VII (Generations), III (Search for Spock), IX (Insurrection);
Abysmal V (Final Frontier).

So, better than any odd-number, but not up to any previous even-number. Given that its immediate predecessor was the second-worst of the bunch, I think it might be time to send Trek movies out to pasture for good.

Non-spoiler bullet-point critiques:

- Too much of an “action-adventure” motif as opposed to having strategy, suspense, wonderment, etc. This has really hurt the last several movies.

- A scene that seems to exist primarily to create demand for certain spin-off toys. This has also really hurt the last several movies.

- Too many plot elements were lifted from earlier movies. (When there’s less risk of this being a spoiler, I’d really like to discuss.)

- Too little of the Romulans, who were always a rather compelling adversary.

- Why did the Remans (whom I don’t remember seeing in previous Trek scenarios) look like Nosferatu the Vampyr? If anything, the bad guys in Insurrection would have been better qualified for that look.

- The primary villain doesn’t have a good enough motivation to explain his most villainous goal. (Also a problem in Generations.)

- There’s not much reason for the Remans to support their leader in his nefarious endeavors either.

- The convenient easy chink in the adversary’s armor didn’t ring true at all, it was only there to allow a particular character to get to the climactic scene.

- The inconsistency of when alien languages are intelligible (depending on the needs of the plot for more action) is annoying.

I can’t offer you any compelling reason to go see it –even at matinee prices. Unless you’ve got an uncontrollable jones for popcorn, you might as well stay in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home