Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Got to go to John Derbyshire’s book signing yesterday -- a quite pleasant experience. There were a few dozen folks there, mostly mathematicians. I’m very much not a mathematician, though I’ve been on friendly terms with several. (If someone didn’t know me well, they might peg me as one.) Looking forward to reading the book next week while we take a brief vacation.

Derb is a very pleasant polymath. Handles questions remarkably well. Has a unique and enjoyable accent. I was surprised that his voice is as high at it is – I’d imagined him as more of a baritone. Nonetheless, he’d be devastating on radio. (I note that he was on local radio today, but I can’t get radio at my office. No doubt he was hawking the book.)

Just three weeks ago yesterday I met Jonah Goldberg. I wonder if that means I might meet another NROnik around Memorial Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home