Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

If it’s Tuesday, this must be . . .

. . .home (there’s no place like it!) at least for a few days. Back to the east coast again next week.

The first trip to Pennsylvania went off well. Friendly people, a pretty part of the country and all like that. The business part of the trip was quite successful too.

While there I did something I hadn’t done for a long time: at a restaurant I ordered and ate something without much of an idea of what I’d get.

We had gone out for shellfish. I noticed a side dish that I’d never heard of before called Pepper Hash and ordered it just to find out. Had I known that it was a second-cousin to coleslaw, I probably wouldn’t have ordered it. I would have then missed out on something quite tasty. Pepper hash* is cabbage in a vinegar dressing with sweet peppers and horseradish. Good stuff with oysters, clams and the like and nothing like the milky blandness of most coleslaw.

Too often I still let my preconceived notions (e. g. “coleslaw is bland and milky”) dictate my approaches to situations where they do not apply.

*Scroll down to find recipe that comes pretty close to what I had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home