Hmmm.
A better man and wittier than I had a post about growing tomatoes that I wanted to link, but I find the post has since vanished. Anyway . . .
I'm growing tomatoes this year. So far they're doing better than most I've grown. I don't have the great green thumb that my farmboy Dad did. I got a late start due to travel so I bought the really big plants - after Memorial Day. We should get a ripe one Thursday or so. We would have had one sooner but a raccoon or other varmint stole it.
While tending the tomatoes I thought of something Dad often said: that a weed is merely a plant that's out of place. He always referred to that as a quote from his first class at Colorado Agricultural & Mechanical College in the fall of '41. Makes sense from a theological standpoint too.
One out-of-place plant that we have in profusion is bindweed. Bindweed is unusual in that the vines reattach to the roots quite frequently. New shoots will soon sink into the roots and then become hubs for several more new shoots. This seems to me to be a good example as I ought to reattach to the root more frequently rather than extending far afield.
Other than that, I'm just ambling along as an offensive lineman in the fantasy football game that is life.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home