Media critic guy redux
Watched the first half of CBS’ JPII movie. It was better than I expected. There were a few visual cues I thought they really botched, but they were relatively minor (e.g. young Karol serving Mass on 9/1/39 in street clothes, Abp. Sapieha dressed as a simple priest while already being addressed as “Excellency”). They weren’t very clear bout the length of the episcopal vacancy in Krakow either – it was over twelve years after all.
I was quite impressed with the inclusion of the short discourse on sexuality that Fr. Wojtyla gave as the surreptitious wedding party started its journey. Good to see mass media own up to the ill intentions of communism – would that the “news” programs might do the same.
One seemingly bigger goof. I missed the beginning of the scene of the open air Mass in Nowa Huta, so I don’t know why he would have started reciting the middle section of the Gloria in Excelsis by himself after his remarks about religious freedom. Perhaps that’s accurate, but it seemed highly peculiar.
I was also pleased that CBS was bright enough to refrain from showing adverts for their sexy fashion show during this one – though during the afternoon football game both programs were advertised quite a bit.
Looking forward to the conclusion, fortuitously scheduled for the evening of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception.

2 Comments:
It is still quite common in Poland for men to serve the Mass in normal clothes - I don't imagine it was much different then. And the most common form of dressing-up for it is just to put a surplice over the everyday garb.
Thank you for the correction, Berenike!
Post a Comment
<< Home