You want cold? I’ll give you cold, buddy!
It’s so cold that :
- the emergency supply in my trunk has now become a Single Malt Slurpee;
- I got icicles on my beard just from walking across the street;
- a fox and a jackrabbit are huddling together for warmth;
- the steam from the power plant is condensing into localized snow just feet from the towers; and
- I’m thinking about turning the thermostat all the way up to 60.
We had some snow overnight Friday and it’s still around – how tiresome! It was powder, so it’s blown around quite a bit. In fact, our tracks in the park were hidden several times over with the driven snow. Some spots outside the park had some melting, but the cold snap’s glazed lots of shaded spots with ice.
I do love the cold. Quite the reminder of just how little and how weak we humans are. Not so fond of the ice as it's a more serious danger, even though it is beautiful.
Something that appears beautiful but that is really very dangerous has taken much attention lately. Serendipitously one line from a favorite old prayer has also been stuck in my head lately: Illumina tenebras cordis mei (enlighten the darkness of my heart).

4 Comments:
now THAT'S cold!
I imagine it does get dang cold up there in the mountains of Colorado.
On going out to walk the pup this morning, TV reported 0 degrees with wind chill 19 below. Our outdoor thermometer said 3 above and it wasn't that windy, but it was plenty cool for me.
You're not a Carmelite (third order) are you? I'm trying to recall st. bloggers who are...
No, my good sir. I thank you for the compliment, though. Carmelites tend to display all the virtues that I sorely lack.
If I'm ever to be a tertiary, it would probaby be Benedictine.
Post a Comment
<< Home