Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Thursday, December 26, 2002

Warning – this post is long and arcane, like its author.

This got a burr under my saddle. I realize it was posted twelve days ago, but circumstances got in the way of a more prompt response. (The author requested that I not quote the post directly here, but merely link to it. In short, the author hopes that Archbishop Chaput does leave Colorado as she has a series of complaints about him.)

I don’t share the author’s opinion of the Archbishop in the least.

I’d say that one of the largest reasons for Abp. Chaput’s popularity is that he, in contrast to too many of our current bishops, is not shy about preaching the Church’s teachings – particularly those that aren’t popular in our culture. I was at the All Saints’ Day Mass where he mentioned (neither in passing nor as the central theme of the sermon, but as an example of an issue where most people in our society have the opportunity to grow in holiness) the importance of Catholic teaching on sexuality. Some rich and prominent people walked out at the offering, but that didn’t deter him. There’s more to him than his skill as a speaker. He expects us all to be serious about growing in holiness. I have farther to go than most in that regard, but even as depraved as I am, I recognize that this is the central message of the Church.

There are more continuing educational opportunities for priests, deacons and interested laity through the extension programs of the John Paul II Institute for the New Evangelization and the new Catholic Biblical School. They aren’t all held at the JPII center either – if you look in the diocesan paper, you’ll see that courses on any number of good topics are offered in many locations and times. (Both of those “projects” were initiated by the current archbishop.)

This diocese is one of the larger ones in terms of geography in the United States, though it isn’t especially large in terms of number of people. That brings its own set of difficulties. That has a lot to do with the recent addition of Assistant Bishop Jose Gomez (himself a most impressive man). Last spring my wife and I took a brief vacation to a few mountain spots in celebration of our wedding anniversary and the conclusion of the spring semester of school. We found out that the Archbishop would be celebrating a special confirmation Mass on our anniversary in Edwards -- a town not far from where we were -- so we went. The priest gave a few remarks in which it was clear that he appreciated very much all the many means of support which this booming and bustling parish – and he personally -- was receiving from the archdiocese.

The most recent issue of the diocesan paper included the audited financial statement for the last fiscal year (something that’s been discontinued in many dioceses recently). It shows a series of ongoing projects in and outside metro Denver.

The priest shortage is a real problem, and a long-term one. Colorado’s population has increased substantially in the past two decades. There are all sorts of new parishes in newly developed areas. The priest shortage isn’t limited to the Boulder area – it’s endemic to the Western world. We’re in one of the few dioceses in the nation (and, I daresay, the Western world) where the number of seminarians has shown consistent increases in each of the past several years. That’s due in large part to the hard work of Abp. Chaput and his choice of the new seminary administration. It takes a long time for seminarians to become available, so he’s also done quite a bit to bring in priests from outside the archdiocese. The Oblates of the Virgin Mary have taken charge of Holy Ghost parish, with more of them to come soon. The staff at the Cathedral has been reduced significantly, with no reduction in the availability of the Sacraments. (Bp. Gomez is a very hard-working man, as is Fr. Misziura!) All of those changes freed up several priests for other duties. Multiple priests from abroad have recently come to Denver. This problem is being addressed – maybe not as quickly as would be ideal, but it is being addressed. I’m sorry you haven’t seen results around Boulder.

I’ve never heard a dunning letter. I heard letters of thanks at two parishes for their generous contributions in excess of the goals that had been set. (The generosity of these parishes, especially during hard times, is telling.) I’m unable to comment on the dunning letter. Similarly I have no idea what the vicar for the clergy may have said. I can say that there are only two priests I’ve had negative experiences with in this diocese. One is Jesuit, the other Vincentian. Neither is on staff of any parish. They’re both bitter old men. One actually spent a big chunk of a sermon complaining that the Church spends so much time opposing abortion compared to the death penalty. (Does he have any clue as to the number of people killed by each? ) The other quotes pop psychology in the confessional. I’ve had a few experiences with the chancery, all of which left me impressed with the holiness and competence of the people with whom I’d dealt.

Given the sociology of Boulder compared to most of the rest of the state, I’m not surprised that the Archbishop is less popular there than elsewhere. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the Boulder area wasn’t very high on the priority list. Boulderites are more likely to be rich, healthy, non-immigrants and childless than most other Coloradans. The ministry of this archbishop doesn’t focus so much on such people as on those with the opposite traits.

That all being said, I’m not so sure that His Excellency should stay here much longer. I agree that he’s in line for the red hat. I can’t say that my hometown, as dear as it is to me, is a major enough center of the Church to have the dignity of a cardinal archbishop. As for a successor, Jose Gomez, the Assistant Bishop, would be an excellent choice (although I’ve always thought he’s in training for bigger things – Los Angeles, perhaps?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home