Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Sartorius maximus

Much discussion of matters sartorial about St. Blog’s of late, notably here.

While many would, no doubt, be aghast, I like wearing baseball jerseys in appropriately casual situations. They’re uniquely comfortable and they do better than T-shirts and the like at making me look like something other than a circus freak. So I was happy to see on Sports Illustrated’s webpage the other day a link to Christian Throwback Jerseys. CTJ is a business apparently run by evangelicals that produces jerseys that look like, for instance, Barry Bonds’ jersey but with a change to the name (in his case, “Giants” becomes “Genesis” and, in case you didn’t know, that team doesn’t include individual names on the back, so there’s no change needed there). Most of the jerseys seem to pick the numbers of popular athletes, adding Bible book names that fit the look of the jersey: e.g. Angels’ #27 becomes Acts 27. I liked the idea a great deal, but noticed they didn’t include many of the chapters I’d like to wear about town.

I sent an email suggesting a few name/number combinations:
• Psalm 51;
• Matthew 16;
• John 6;
• Romans 1; and
• Genesis 19.

I got back a pleasant e-mail that they’d consider adding these. We’ll see what happens.

Later I thought it would be big fun to make jerseys with name/number combinations of great Popes. I call the rights to the first Leo 13 jersey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home