Vita Brevis

. . . so get with it!

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Road Wars Episode II: Attack of the Drone

A while ago, in a commonwealth far, far away . . .

Fortunately I had no lingering ill effects from the first trip to Philly. I got a week and a day in at the office before the second trip. No traveling companion this time and a better (or so I hoped) hotel augured for a better time.

This time I got in while it was still light. I enjoyed a little spin through Wayne on the way to King of Prussia. Got to stay at a rather odd complex that included two hotels and the Valley Forge Convention Center. One of the meetings included a large contingent from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. I shared an elevator with a fellow who wore a T-shirt that announced “As a matter of fact, I am a rocket scientist”. There was also a sales meeting for what sounded like “Snapple”, but turned out to be “Snap-On” – the tool company. It was pretty easy to guess at sight (or sound) which hotel guests were with the divergent groups.

The title refers to the coursework I was there for, taught by a pleasant, knowledgeable and astoundingly boring fellow. So it goes.

Got back into downtown for good seafood and this time took a jaunt through the older part of the city. I was surprised that Independence Hall was so small. Years of looking at Denver East High School* messed up my sense of scale for that building. Speaking of odd perspective: there were several costumed tour guides dressed as 18th century gentlemen near the Hall, but nearly all of them were black women.

The nearby Liberty Bell was a touching sight. I was truly surprised by the ironic proximity of Chinatown to the birthplace of American self-determination. The Delaware River waterfront has great potential, though it has some seedier establishments too. The S. S. United States – once the pride of the high seas – could become quite a draw on its own with a little elbow grease.

I got to a Rock Bottom Brewery and found that they now make a serviceable knock-off of Chimay. Still, it’s better to patronize the Peres Trappistes by buying the original item. Side note: Pennsylvania has some of the weirder liquor laws in this country, and that takes some doing. The commonwealth has a monopoly on sale of package wine and spirits, but doesn’t sell beer in its stores hence liquor stores and beer stores are wholly separate. Large numbers of restaurants and, reportedly, some night clubs are BYOB.

Meanwhile, Dude! Had I known, I could have saved a few simoleons by blogging my travel experience.

Coming next, Episode III: Revenge of This and That

* Scroll through for two great photos of the school and a few other good shots of my hometown, including St. Dominic’s Church on the west side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home